The fencing industry is incredibly competitive. Separating yourself from the pack can be challenging since nearly anyone with a truck and a trailer can call themselves a contractor and start working jobs. Plus, there's only so much work to go around and you aren't the only fencing company trying to win these high-dollar projects.
Investing in search engine optimization is one of the best ways to reach your potential customers and show them that you're a professional fencing contractor. Optimizing your site helps it rank higher for keywords that are important to your business and attract new clients to your business by bringing qualified traffic to your site.
You can learn more about our fence company SEO services by clicking on the links below to jump to these sections.
- What is SEO for fencing companies?
- Benefits of SEO
- Types of SEO services
- How to get started with fence company SEO
- Tracking SEO performance
If you're ready to start investing in SEO for your fencing company, we want to talk to you! Get in touch to schedule a free consultation with one of our fence company marketing experts to learn how we can help grow your business.
Learn how we increased organic traffic by 5,680% and conversions by 12,223% for a local lending company.
What is SEO for fencing companies?
Fence company SEO is a digital marketing strategy that involves improving your website, optimizing pages for specific keywords, and improving your E-A-T (Expertise, Authority, & Trust) so your pages rank well in the search engine results pages (SERPs). Every page that ranks in the search results is another opportunity for you to attract new visitors to your site and earn their business.
How does SEO help my fence company?
Nearly 99% of people have searched online to find more information about local businesses. That's basically everyone, and it absolutely includes your ideal customers. When they look for your services online, will they find you...or your competitors?
If you aren't on the first page of Google, your customers have probably never heard of you since 88% of users click on the top 10 search results for their query.
Using SEO for your fencing company will help your pages rank higher for the keywords and phrases they're using to find businesses just like yours. The right SEO strategy can help identify which keywords you should target to have the greatest impact on your bottom line. You'll be able to reach prospects that need your services and are ready to book an appointment.
Putting in the work to rank higher in search can help you create a reliable pipeline of qualified inbound leads. If you're looking to keep your schedules full and your teams out in the field, then fencing SEO is an absolute must.
Types of SEO Services
Search engine optimization is one of the most cost-effective, profitable, and scalable ways to grow your fencing company. With the right fencing SEO strategy, you can attract high-quality traffic to your website and convert it into qualified leads and booked appointments. However, it isn't easy and doesn't happen overnight, so most contractors partner with an SEO agency like Hearth Marketing.
We offer a variety of fencing SEO services to help you climb the rankings.
There are many different types of tactics that make up traditional search engine optimization. These tactics can be grouped into on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
On-page SEO refers to the optimization of individual web pages in order to rank higher in the search results and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. This mostly involves optimizing the content and HTML source code of a web page. Some on-page SEO tactics include:
- Keyword research and optimization: Identifying and building content around a specific keyword to improve its ranking in search results.
- SEO tag optimization: Writing compelling, informative, and descriptive title tags and meta descriptions that accurately reflect the content of a web page tell Google what your page is about and is more likely to earn clicks from searchers.
- h tag optimization: Using heading tags (H1, H2, etc.) to structure the content of a web page helps search engines understand your content and readers find the information that's most important to them.
- Content marketing: Writing high-quality, informative, and engaging content that addresses the needs and interests of the target audience and includes relevant keywords.
Off-page SEO deals with improving the ranking signals pointing at your pages from other websites, social media platforms, etc. across the internet. This includes building high-quality backlinks from other relevant websites, as well as promoting the website through social media and other online channels. Off-page SEO tactics include:
- Link building: Backlinks are still the best way to build the authority of your website. Identifying and acquiring high-quality backlinks from other reputable websites increases the authority and credibility of your pages and makes them more likely to rank higher.
- Social media marketing: Using social media platforms to promote your business and website's content, as well as to build and engage with your target audience.
- Guest blog posts: Write content to post on a different website to take advantage of their traffic and to introduce your company to their audience, while also earning a backlink.
- Influencer outreach: Partnering with relevant influencers or industry experts can introduce your business to thousands of new potential customers that could be interested in your products or services.
By implementing one or more of these tactics, businesses can improve their visibility in search results and drive more qualified traffic to their website.
Technical SEO deals with optimizing a website's source code and technical elements in order to improve its visibility and ranking in the SERP. Important elements of SEO include crawling and indexing your site, page load times, and site architecture among many others. A
- Sitemap optimization: Google can't index pages it can't see. Optimizing and submitting your sitemap to Google ensures that every page of your website gets crawled and indexed each time Googlebot visits your website.
- Site architecture and navigation: This refers to the organization and structure of your content and how it's linked together. A well-organized site with a clear hierarchy and logical navigation can help search engines understand the relationship between pieces of content on a site and improve its ranking.
- Mobile optimization: More people are using their smartphones as their primary devices, so it's important that your website is easy to use for mobile users. This includes using responsive design, leveraging best practices for mobile UX and CRO, and improving site load times on mobile devices.
- Page speed optimization: No one likes a slow website. Page speed is a confirmed ranking factor for search engines, so your website needs to load quickly. A few ways to do this are by optimizing images, minifying HTML/CSS/JS, and using a content delivery network (CDN).
Local SEO Services
Local SEO is a major part of reaching potential customers in your local area. These are tactics that websites can use to strengthen their location and proximity-based ranking signals to help your pages rank higher when Google sees that a search query has local intent. There are several ways you can improve the local SEO for your fence company, including:
- Claiming and optimizing your Google Business Profile: Google gives every business a free listing where they can provide detailed information about their business, including its address, service area, phone number, hours of operation, and the services it provides.
- Creating and optimizing local landing pages: Local landing pages are pages on your website that are optimized to target a specific city or region and you should build one for every major city in your service area. These pages should include relevant, locally focused content that is optimized for local keywords.
- Building local citations: Citations are mentions of your business name, address, and phone number (also known as NAP data) on other websites like Google Maps, Yelp, etc. These citations help search engines understand that your company is a reputable and established business that serves customers in your local area.
- Obtaining reviews and ratings: Online reviews and ratings from customers can help improve the credibility and reputation of your business, which has a direct impact on your ability to rank in the local search results, the local map pack, and Google Maps.
- Using local schema markup: Local schema markup is a type of standardized code you can add to your website to help search engines understand what your business does, where it does it, and the relevance of your site to specific search queries.
- Participating in local events and sponsorships: Getting involved in local events and sponsorships can help your site earn backlinks from other local businesses in your community which strengthens your local ranking signals.
- Creating and promoting local content: Creating and promoting content about local events or attractions can help improve the relevance of your website for local searches and help you reach potential clients that live in your service area.
How to get Started with Fence Company SEO
SEO isn't a one-off project for your website. It's an ongoing process that has a lot of moving parts and can be a lot to handle. It can be tough to know where to start, and building a fence company SEO strategy takes time and expertise that your business may not have. Start improving your fence company's SEO by following these 6 steps.
#1: Perform keyword research
Performing comprehensive keyword research helps you understand the words and phrases that people use to search for the products, services, and information that you offer. Identifying the most relevant and popular keywords for your business can improve the relevance of your content and the visibility of your website in the SERPs to attract more qualified traffic to your site.
There are a ton of great SEO tools that you can use to find the keywords that matter most to your business including the Google Ads Keyword Planner, semrush, or Ahrefs. They have a variety of features and metrics that help you identify relevant keywords and phrases that are being searched for on the internet.
These tools can also be used to gauge how competitive each keyword is, which can help you determine the feasibility of ranking for that term so you can better prioritize the target keywords for your fence company.
A few examples of fence company SEO keywords are:
- "wooden fence company near me"
- "best local fencing companies"
- "wrought iron fencing companies near me"
- "licensed fence contractors near me"
In addition to using these keyword research tools, you can also look at your own website's analytics data, conduct customer surveys, research your competitors' keyword strategies, or use Google Trends.
Once you have your list of potential keywords, you can use them to optimize your website's content to improve its visibility, improve the likelihood of ranking, and drive more relevant traffic to your site.
#2: Create high quality content
Content marketing isn't just a way to attract new customers to your website. It's also a phenomenal tool to educate your prospects about what differentiates your business from the competition and builds credibility and trust to help you earn their business.
Creating high-quality content for your website should be the backbone of your fence company SEO strategy since it can generate 3x the leads and costs 62% less than other forms of marketing.
For a fence company, your content marketing efforts will most likely boil down to writing blog posts and creating content to post on your social media profiles. Blogs should take a higher priority since they attract visitors to your website where they're more likely to reach out and request an estimate.
Some of those blog topics could include:
- The history of fences and how they've evolved over the years
- Different types of fences for both residential and commercial clients
- Unique and creative fence ideas
- Fence maintenance and repair tips for homeowners
- Environmental impact of fences
- How your fences can affect your home's value
- Types of pet-friendly fences for your backyard
- Best types of privacy fences
You can also write about how your fence company goes about building fences to give potential customers a deeper understanding of what makes your process of building fences better and more reliable than your competitors.
This level of relevant, informative, and free content will resonate with your potential customers since most people prefer to learn about companies through non-promotional content. They want to know more about you so they can feel more informed and comfortable when it comes time to make a buying decision.
Creating high-quality content that targets a wide range of keywords lets you cast a larger net as well. Your website can rank for keywords and topics that go beyond your products and services which can reach your prospects at every stage of the buying journey.
#3: On-page optimization
Optimizing the content on your website helps Google understand what your pages are about which, if optimized properly, will make it more likely for them to show up in the search results when searched for.
Think of on-page optimization like a rowing team. You want every member of your team to be in sync with one another so they're rowing at the exact same time and pushing you in the same direction at the greatest speed possible. This is what happens when all of the elements on your page are properly optimized.
The elements below should all contain the target keyword for that particular page.
- Title tag
- h1 heading
- URL structure
- Image alt text
- Meta description
- Body content
- Incoming internal links
Every single one of the elements is completely within your control. When you create a page, or you're updating an existing one, be sure to optimize these elements so they align with your target keyword and propel your pages to the top of the search results.
#4: Build relevant backlinks
Building backlinks is tough and time-consuming, and that's because it's one of the best ways to build your website's authority.
Backlinks are links that are pointed at your website from other websites. When other websites link to your site, it sends a signal to search engines that your site is a reputable source of information. Each high-quality link you earn acts as a little vote of confidence in the quality and value of your website. And the more votes you have, the more likely you are to rank higher in the search results.
However, it's important to note that the quality of the backlinks is more important than the quantity. A backlink from a high-quality, reputable website will be more valuable than several backlinks from low-quality or spammy websites. The relevance of those websites is also important because a link from a site that's related to your industry is more valuable than a random one.
Building backlinks is an important part of search engine optimization (SEO) because it helps to improve the authority and credibility of your website. By building a strong network of backlinks, you can improve your website's visibility in search results and attract more qualified traffic to your site.
#5: Internal linking
Your site's internal architecture through its internal link profile is just as important as your backlink profile, and it's often overlooked or flat-out ignored. Internal linking can be used to help improve a website's search engine ranking by:
- Distributing link equity (ranking power) throughout a website: When a page links to another page on the same site, it passes some of its own ranking power to the linked page. You can give your pages a better opportunity to rank in search results by tactically passing this link equity across the important pages on your site.
- Helping search engines understand the website's content and structure: Internal linking helps search engines understand the semantic and contextual relationships between different pages on a website. It can help them understand the hierarchy of a website and the content on each page, which can help improve the website's search ranking.
- Improving the crawlability of your pages: Google can't rank pages it can't see, and it "sees" pages by crawling them. When Google crawls your website, you have a set crawl budget that determines how many pages Google can see during that period of time. Curating your internal link structure can help Google crawl more pages during the allotted time so more pages can be seen and indexed.
- Improving the user experience: Internal linking can also help improve the user experience by making it easier for users to find and navigate to related content elsewhere on a website. This can help reduce the bounce rate (the percentage of visitors who leave a website after viewing only one page) and increase the time that users spend on the website, which are both heavily weighted ranking factors that can impact your search rankings.
#6: Submit your sitemap to the search engines
The best way for search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo to discover pages on your website is by creating and submitting a sitemap.
A sitemap is a file that lists all the pages of your website in a structured format, which makes it easier for search engines to find and understand the content of your website. Submitting a sitemap to a search engine can help to improve the visibility of your website in the search results and can be an important part of your overall SEO strategy.
A properly formatted sitemap can help to:
- Improve crawling: Sitemaps help search engines discover and crawl all of the listed pages on your website more efficiently. This is especially useful if your website has a large number of pages, you have few inbound links, or if your website is new and hasn't been discovered by Google/Bing.
- Enhance indexation: Including every page on your website in your sitemap can help ensure that Google crawls them each time their crawler, Googlebot, visits your website.
- Prioritize indexing important pages: Some pages on your site generate more traffic, leads, and/or revenue than others. It's important that they keep getting crawled so Google can see them and keep them in their index. By putting these pages in a prominent position in your sitemap, it ensures that Google sees them every time they pull your sitemap.
When you've created your sitemap, be sure to submit it to Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools so you're pages can show up on Google, Bing, & Yahoo.
Our fence company SEO services drive clear, measurable results that impact your bottom line.
Measuring the success of your fence company SEO strategy
Before you invest in any marketing channel, taking the time to determine what success looks like is critical to achieving your goal, or goals. Leveraging SEO for fence companies can improve a wide range of metrics and KPIs, but knowing which ones matter most will help you craft a strategy that achieves them.
For instance, you could track how many more:
- Qualified leads were generated
- Phone calls that came from organic traffic
- Consultations happened during a certain time period
- Fence projects were completed and organic traffic generated
You might be tempted to track raw traffic increases, and while it's important to keep an eye on it, it isn't a good indicator of you getting the results you want. Focusing on increasing the quality of traffic - i.e. getting more leads, quotes, projects, etc. - is far more important than the quantity of traffic.
The reason for this is that it can take weeks or months for a fence project to go from being just a generated lead to a completed project with collected payment. Looking at just how much traffic you've generated is just one small piece of the puzzle that doesn't reflect the bigger picture.
It's important to partner with a fence company SEO agency that understands what metrics to track and analyze to determine whether or not your SEO efforts are working.
Start earning more leads and revenue with fencing SEO
If you're ready to build a reliable and recurring stream of inbound leads, we can help!
Our fence company SEO experts know how to market your fence builder company, and can leverage our expertise to take your business to the next level. By investing the time and capital in an SEO strategy, you can earn more clients and cement your company as the go-to fencing contractor in your area.
We've generated over 1,389,310 qualified leads for our clients and we can do the same for you. You can rest easy knowing that your company is in good hands.